Search This Blog

Monday, August 22, 2011

ANYONE Can Cook! Part 1

Soooo.... I was introduced to an amazing website for food.  Food Gawker has over one hundred thousand pictures of food, and when you click the pictures, a new window with the site where the recipe is listed pops open.  You can search by food type, or browse everything.  Perhaps the best part is that you can sign up for a free account and save your favorites.  I have been looking at it almost everyday, and I've tried a few things from it.

After I finished writing this, I looked at how looooonnnnnnnnggggggg it was, and I broke it into two posts.  Part two will follow soon.

Here's where my information for you comes in.  My goal in this blog is to make things and explain them so anyone can replicate them--even those of you who say you are not good at crafts, or cooking.  I have heard of some people who NEVER experiment in the kitchen, and can't make anything without a recipe.  Well, if you are an experimenter, try the recipes I linked to, because they are really good.  If you aren't an experimenter, read the rest of this, and be BRAVE.

Now, I will admit, I have made a few things that weren't edible.  Like the steak that was so charred it couldn't even pass for beef jerky, or trying to make alfredo sauce with a package of cream cheese (trust me, you don't want to try that experiment), but if you consider everything I've tried, the inedible ones are few and far between.  And if you try something, you might like it!  Or you might say, "Never again!"  But you will have learned something for next time.

Something you might be interested in knowing:  I rarely actually measure things.  I might use a measuring cup, but even then, measurements are approximate.  I say this for one reason--Even though I don't measure much, people still seem to like my food.  You don't have to worry about things being perfect.  (My grandmother says BAKING involves science, and so you have to be more careful.  I DO measure carefully when I make cakes.)

If you are one who never tries anything new, an experiment might just be trying a recipe you have never used before.  I started to use this recipe last weekend, because I found it on Food Gawker and thought it looked delicious:
Zucchini Cakes
We were having company, and I was making them while my friend was in the kitchen.  She thought they looked good, but she didn't think she wanted the nutmeg in there, so we left it out.  You know, they were still delicious.  I made them again Saturday (still without the nutmeg) and I made them thinner, which was nice.  My husband's family started calling them Zucchini burgers, and they loved them.

I have two more recipes that I have tried, with pictures.  I will put them up soon.  In the meantime, leave a comment with your favorite recipe, experiment, or if you're brave, a disaster you tried.


2 comments:

  1. You know I hate cooking, so if I am going to spend time in the kitchen, it has to come out right, or I feel even worse about the time I wasted in the kitchen. So glad others like to cook, because I do enjoy eating.

    I hope others will have some good stories for you, but I don't. Sorry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the website suggestion. Love trying new recipes but with Christian here all week, I have to do that on the weekends. Will try the Zucchini cakes for sure. They look so good!

    ReplyDelete